Mega Girl

The blog of Meg A Shanley

Sunday, October 8

New media, Old media, It's all just words

Finally! Reggie wouldn’t let me on the computer until after the Cardinals-Padres game was over (Cards won). She is a huge baseball fan but I’m still not sure who she wants to see in the World Series. She used to like the Anaheim Angels until they became the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, which was totally lame, but they’re not in the playoffs.

And why do I, a non-rabid fan, know about the playoffs? Because Reg talks nonstop about it. Mets swept the Dodgers, Tigers swept the Yankees and in case you don’t know, “swept” means the other team didn’t win any games.

So…Evelyn told us last Friday that our blogs are supposed to explore the new media. Not the old media, which is the other course, the one I really wanted to take (have I mentioned that before?), the one about television and movies and books. And she wants us to read each other’s blogs. Augh! Delete, delete! LOL! I have no worries about anyone reading my blog. No one even knows me in this town except Reggie. This is the start of my second year here – we moved to RC (that’s Rancho Cucamonga to the rest of the world) when I was in 8th grade, just in time to finish middle school, so now I’m again with a whole new group of people in the high school. Half the teachers call me Margaret. The others just mumble under their breath (“You, in the back” they say, when they call on me, or “You, wearing the completely wrong jeans”).

Honestly, I don’t care if no one reads this.

So whatever.

I should probably put photos here to liven things up. Plus I need to use up space. I think Evelyn’s grading us on the quantity of material we put in our pages, not the quality.

[Reggie, dude, send me the pictures your brother took when we went to that last home game at the Epicenter! I keep asking you and you keep saying you will. I already saw them and you look fine. I’m gonna ask Billy myself if you don’t.]

Anyway, the reason I say Evelyn is grading on quantity is that she gave major kudos to this guy Benny’s blog and I have no idea why. Here’s what his blog is about: postings about DVDs he owns and DVDs he wants to buy, what’s in his NetFlix queue, photos of his German shepherd, pictures of girls he draws during class (none of them me – so far), and lists of his favorite sandwiches.

Huh?

You mean, like peanut butter and jelly on Wonder bread? And bologna with mustard on rye? And roast beef with caramelized onions and Muenster cheese toasted on a Kaiser roll?

Yes, I mean exactly like that. Why is that so great? The dude posts like, every day! WTF? What does he have to say that’s so important he has to write every single day?

Rich kid with nothing to do. (See previous post.)

So, to appease my teacher and make up for that crappy grade she gave me on my last paper, I’ve been checking out other people’s blogs. I use the Random Blogs button at the sign-on screen and I gotta say, most of them are pretty frickin boring.

“And the week is over…”

“And the week is just beginning…”

“This is what I did today…”

Or if you’re Benny:

“This is what I ate today…”

And you can tell no one visits their blogs because there are never any comments posted. Is that sad? Or miserably pathetic? I wonder if these bloggers WANT other people to comment about their scrapbooking posts or if they’re perfectly content to send their words out into the ether with no expectation of a return on their investment.

Some blogs are great and I think that’s because their authors picked a topic they were passionate about, however esoteric it may have been, and then shared their expertise with the world. And the world responded. They were chosen as a Blog of Note or other sites linked to their blog or they got quoted in the traditional media, like on CNN when that British girl talks about what people are saying on the Internet or whatever.

And that’s where I’m stuck. What should my blog be about?

I promise that I will have a topic by the next post. (No, Reg, it won’t be about baseball.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home