Mega Girl

The blog of Meg A Shanley

Sunday, December 3

Winter Wish

It’s snowing in the Midwest and lots of flights have been canceled. That’s what you get when you have December in other parts of the country. Not here in SoCal.

I wish I could see real snow, the falling-down kind, the kind where it melts in your hair and sticks to your jacket. I have visited snow: Lucie and I went to Big Bear a few years ago when she was dating this guy (for like a minute and a half) who was a ski instructor at a resort there. They have both real snow and man-made so there’s plenty for skiing but I kept waiting for it to snow for reals. I wanted to see it come down from the sky and land on the ground. But it never did during the whole two days were there. And we didn’t ski, either. Well, I tried but I couldn’t get my knees to stay straight so I kept wobbling over. The snow isn’t as soft and fluffy as it looks like it would be when you fall face down into it. But Lucie didn’t even try. She wanted to sit inside and drink hot chocolate and watch television, which they didn’t even have at this resort where we stayed. I think that’s the reason Lucie and that guy broke up. Not because Lucie didn’t even attempt skiing (which would have pissed me off if I were him) but because he worked at a place that didn’t have TV.

I’m sure we could never actually live in snow – that would be too much, I think. Lucie can barely drive when it rains; I would hate to be in another car if she had to navigate through a snowstorm. Or ice. You can’t have snow without ice. And freezing. You can’t have snow or ice without freezing cold. I wonder what that would be like. Cold for us is when it’s in the 50s. Freezing for us is when it’s 40. It rarely ever gets below that. If it did, we would have no beautiful flowers in the wintertime like we do and people would have to stop wearing shorts and flip-flops, which you would think would not happen in December or January or February but it totally does. That’s SoCal for you. People are definitely unique that way.

Let me end this with a new list for the week:

Top 3.5 Cold Places I Want to Visit Before I Die

1. Denver, Colorado
2. Alaska
3. Mt. Everest
3.5 Canada

There are probably way more places in the world that are even colder, like Antarctica and the North Pole and Moscow, but come on, what are the odds I’m going to get there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home