Mega Girl

The blog of Meg A Shanley

Sunday, August 26

2 More Read!

Whew…these 2 books were tough going. Why is the summer reading list so much harder than the regular school year reading list? Just because I have more free time doesn’t mean I’ll understand it any better. This past week my speed-reading demon left me and I was only able to finish 2 non-fiction books, “Angela’s Ashes” by Frank McCourt and “Fast Food Nation” by Eric Schlosser.

Could these books be any more different? I don’t think so.


Frank McCourt’s book is a memoir about his life growing up in Ireland. It defines the word “bleak.” It’s filled with death and poverty and starvation and sickness. It’s really sad but ends on a positive note when he comes to the United States to start a new life.


I thought “Fast Food Nation” would be funnier than it was because it has a funny title and cover but it was really pretty bleak too and it will make you never want to eat a hamburger again. (Remember that awesome episode of The Simpsons when Lisa becomes a vegetarian after they show a filmstrip in class about how they kill cows? It was kind of like that in book form but there was no Paul McCartney singing at the end.)

So I only have2 more books to read in the next week. I was doing so well with the first batch. I don’t know what happened. Maybe I got distracted by…stuff. And…people.

We’ll know soon enough, won’t we? Well, I will. And then I will tell you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home