Mega Girl

The blog of Meg A Shanley

Sunday, August 19

3 Books Down…

4 more to go.

Somehow I managed to read 3 books in three days. I think a speed-reading demon mind-melded with my brain while I was sleeping one night. I probably won’t remember what I read for very long which is why I need to quickly write down whatever I have to say about these books before I get to the next batch.

I read:

“A Farewell to Arms” by Ernest Hemingway

“Stranger in a Strange Land” by Robert Heinlein

“A Prayer for Owen Meany” by John Irving

Of those 3, I LOVED the John Irving book. Loved it. I felt so sad for Owen, who thinks he’s a martyr because he accidentally killed his friend’s mom with a baseball and is cursed with talking in capital letters. It was hard for me to read that, because I kept trying to hear his voice in my head. What do capital letters sound like? It’s not shouting because that’s not what he does. It was really, really long but time flew by when I was reading it (helped by the speed-reading demon, no doubt).


The Robert Heinlein book was pretty good too but I didn’t know it was science fiction when I picked it for my list. I am not a fan of fantasy kinds of things. But this one was good. It was more like true-life science fiction, rather than outer space stuff. In it, this guy comes to earth from Mars and he doesn’t know anything about life here. He eventually starts his own church and learns about love.


I hated the Hemingway book. It had the saddest ending. The best part about it was that it was short.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home