Mega Girl

The blog of Meg A Shanley

Sunday, February 4

A Rose By Any Other Name

Top 3.5 Thoughts About Sending Anonymous V-Day Roses

1. No Name = No Shame
2. No Declaration = No Misinterpretation
3. No Order Email = No Paper Trail
3.5 No Rose = No One Knows

Okay, I’ve been thinking a lot about this. Obviously. I am really debating whether to send an anonymous rose to…let’s call him T. Now, that could be T for a first name or for a last name so don’t read into anything. And I’m not going to mention what class he’s in but he is in one of my classes, which only tells you he’s in my grade.

As far as I know, T doesn’t have a girlfriend. I think he was dating someone last summer but they broke up or it wasn’t a serious thing because he only hangs out with his friends these days. He does play a sport and I have seen him with the guys he plays this sport with - but I’m not saying if the sport is a current one or one he played in the fall - or one he will play in the spring. Whew…this anonymous stuff is not easy. One false move and you can figure everything out.

I said before, I think T thinks I am someone else. He called me Melanie once when we were about to take an exam. He tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Pay attention, Melanie.” Because I was staring out the window or something like that. And yes, now you know he sits near me in one of my classes. Big deal.

Anyway, he thinks my name is Melanie! So do I send him a rose and sign it “Melanie”? Or “Meg”? Or do I not sign it at all? Do I just send a rose with no note? Do I send one with a message like, “Love from your secret admirer”? Do I say, “Love”? So many questions! Which is why I made my list above.

No Name = No Shame. This is an obvious one. If I don’t sign my name, he won’t know who sent it and he and his friends can’t make fun of me. I don’t think he would, because he doesn’t seem like that kind of guy but he might be embarrassed and feel weird around me and since we still have many months of classes together (not to mention years of high school!), that would kind of suck.

So it’s decided: no name.

No Declaration = No Misinterpretation. If I don’t include a note at all, there can’t be any way to misinterpret a message. If I don’t write, “love,” he won’t think love. If I don’t write, “Will you be my valentine,” he won’t think I want that either.

So it’s decided: no note.

No Order Email = No Paper Trail. If I don’t place an order at all, there won’t be any way to trace it to me. Because if I do order a rose, even if it’s anonymous and I pay in cash, there will be some way to figure out who sent it! Anonymous doesn’t really mean anonymous then, does it?

So…no rose at all.

But then…

No Rose = No One Knows. Including T. And I kind of want him to know. I mean, don’t I? Isn’t it a waste to pine for someone in secret? You can’t ever get what you want if you don’t go for it.

Geez, I don’t know. There are so many pros and cons to this. Just two days left until we have to place our orders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home