Mega Girl

The blog of Meg A Shanley

Sunday, June 10

No more pencils, No more books

Top 3.5 Great Things About Freshman Year Ending

1. In 3 months, there will be a new crop of kids to harass
2. All our classes will have II at the end instead of I
3. The good half of the cafeteria will be open to us
3.5 People will finally forget I’m the new girl

Very soon, freshman year will be over. Can I get a whoo-hoo? I will no longer be a frosh, a newbie, a noob, a plebe, or whatever you want to call us first-years. A new group of freshmen will arrive in a few months and they will be the target of the new seniors’ harassment. They will be picked on in the hallways, shoved against lockers, taunted in gym class…actually, none of that ever happened to me for which I am eternally grateful. I saw it a few times and managed to slip away quietly before anyone realized I was also a freshman.

Beginning next September we will be expected to know more, having gone through the first two semesters of classes. I will be in French II and English II and Geometry II (yuck!). I will also get to pick two electives instead of just one. I haven’t decided yet what I want to take and no, I am not going to see what T is taking. Unless it happens to be something I really, really want to take. And that could happen. I’m not saying it won’t.

The caf is currently divided into the freshman section, which is next to the kitchen and is really loud and smelly and gets steamy and hot, and the rest of the caf, which has windows and the good tables that don’t wobble and air-conditioning. Next year, I can sit with Reg on her side and she doesn’t have to come slumming over to me.

And yes, in 3 months, I will no longer be the new girl. THAT is the best thing of all.

To paraphrase one of my favorite bands, wake me up when September comes…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home