Mega Girl

The blog of Meg A Shanley

Wednesday, July 4

Happy Fourth of July, America!


JMO but holidays in the middle of summer are a waste. What's it a holiday from - vacation?

The Fourth of July has never been a big deal for me and Lucie. I like fireworks but honestly, I think my sister is a little bit afraid of them. Like a dog she usually runs for cover when she hears loud noises. lol! Thank god we don't have thunderstorms or anything like that around here!

So far we have only lived in one place where we had a barbecue. That was in the trailer park out near Joshua Tree, which was the name of a really great U2 album but is also smack dab between a giant national park and the country's largest Marine corps base. Our place was actually pretty nice and the people were really cool too. I mean, there's this reputation people who live in trailer parks have, like they're hicks or inbred or something stupid like that but really they're just normal people. They have hobbies and go to school and host parties. It's not like they sit around at night drinking grain alcohol and shooting at rats at the dump. Ya know?

We had a lot of friends when we lived there. And I remember on the Fourth, we all got together for a big barbecue potluck. We brought appetizers - which were crackers with Cheez Whiz. We thought it would be cheap, like hot dogs and burgers, but other people had chicken filets and salmon steaks and someone cut up veggies for kebabs. And after the sun went down and it cooled off (cuz the desert heat is miserable in the day), we toasted marshmallows and I had a s'more for the very first time. I liked it.

Things are hazy after that. We probably moved not long after the barbecue cuz I don't remember celebrating my birthday there.

Today will be different. We've been invited to Reggie's for a big party and then at night, there's Aaron's show in Hollywood. He's opening for a folk band that's known for their patriotic songs so I guess this is their big day. That could be good for Aaron, although I don't ever remember hearing him sing anything pro-American. Maybe he can sing the Star Spangled Banner. That'll give him fans.

Congratulations to me - this is my 100th post! Whoo-hoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home