Mega Girl

The blog of Meg A Shanley

Sunday, February 25

And the Oscar Goes To...


Top 3.5 Oscar Nominated Movies

1. Little Miss Sunshine
2. Pursuit of Happyness
3. The Prestige
3.5 United 93

I’m taking some time out from my near-obsession with ARRG (Anonymous Red Rose Guy) because I want to comment on tonight’s Oscars. Now, I haven’t seen many of the Best Picture movies, so I can’t comment on those but of all the movies nominated for something - like Cinematography or Sound or Music or whatever - these are my 3.5 faves.

Little Miss Sunshine - SO funny and SO cute and SO sweet and I loved the little girl who played Olive. I know she won’t win for Best Supporting Actress but she was so great! I loved her passion. Lucie thinks it was the best movie of last year. We saw it in the theater AND we rented it. I think I’m gonna buy it for her for her birthday.

Pursuit of Happyness - I am a total sucker for Will Smith. Total! I usually hate the movies he’s in but I love him. (Hated “I Robot,” loved Will…hated “Miami Vice,” loved Will…hated “Men in Black 2,” loved Will…you get the idea.) He’s handsome and charming and I love that he and Jada are like the best Hollywood couple and that they give each other permission to have set crushes when they’re working on movies. Go Will!

The Prestige - I love magic tricks, which goes back when I was about six and Lucie was dating an amateur magician who did sleight-of-hand: card tricks, coin stuff, disappearing scarves - I was really young so I thought my sister’s boyfriend was awesome. I also have to confess to watching those “Magician Reveals” specials on Fox. What can I say? I believe in magic and I want to think those tricks are real. But I also want to know how they’re done. (I am a very complex girl…) Plus Christian Bale AND Hugh Jackman in the same movie? Sweet! Now, if they had just added Will Smith, it would have been perfect.

United 93 - This only gets honorable mention because it was SO sad plus you know how it ends but it was SO GOOD. Lucie cried and cried and couldn’t watch the very end but I thought it was great because it showed how heroic those people were. And it made me wonder what I would have done if I had been there.

Okay, have fun watching the Oscars. I’ll be at Reggie’s for the red carpet stuff and the specials but then I’m hanging with Lucie for the show. We usually make a whole dinner of appetizers and big fat sundaes for dessert. It’s a pretty fun time. But I won’t be betting or anything because I’m sure I’d lose.

I’ll be back to wonder about ARRG next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home